Tuesday, November 20, 2007

AFTER:
Since we liked the lay out of the kitchen, and the granite counters, we elected to have the cabinets re-faced rather than replaced. It saved us a few thousand dollars and lot of time and mess. The guys were in and out in two days. I love the euro pulls and little steel legs (under the sink cupboard) from IKEA. We ripped out the plastic covered flourescent lights, covered the little cove with beadboard, and added track lighting (note to anyone wanting to try ths--the junction boxes have to be moved, so it may be worth calling an electrician!). It made the ceiling feel a little taller and gave me a pop of color too. I had a few of the cabinet doors replaced with a patterned glass just because I'm a sucker for glass doors!

The orange walls of my kitchen always make me feel happy (Valspar "glazed orange"). New black appliances pulled the place together. I wish they could have been stainless, but I really didn't want to deal with all the fingerprints. I've studded the wood backsplash with large upholstery tacks, but would like to replace the whole thing with a white circle or subway tile.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Beautiful remodel! I have two of those ugly florescent light cubbies in my kitchen. We've been thinking about replacing them with recessed, but now that I see your track lighting, I'm thinking that is a nice solution too. Since I've got a country french theme going on I was thinking about adding some metal pressed tile (I think that's what you call it) up there, but the bead board would work too. Interesting read. Can't wait to see more.